Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Advocate

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

Someone, actually quite rudely, told me that they were annoyed by what I wrote, they rolled their eyes, that I didn't have to "advocate" for everything.

I can see how I might become "that girl." The fanatic always in arms about something.

In this case, I really don't care if I'm generalized.

I give voice to those without one.

I work to help the babies in Haiti, babies born with congenital heart defects, woman in Iran, or to support other mother's whose children died because I feel for them with my whole heart. I'm compassionate.

I'm even compassionate to the bratty person that said that. If they must sit back and judge someone else for speaking up, perhaps they feel voiceless? I get angered for a minute, but then feel nothing but compassion.

Let me be painted the wild fanatical blogger always taking up a new cause.

It's much better than the alternative, never sticking up for anything I believe in.

I've read the emails of the CHDs detected, the crutches delivered to a needy person in Haiti, and the eyes opened to the plight of the Iranian women because of what I do.

I embrace the criticism that I advocate too much.

It's what I do now. After what I went through, I can't close my eyes to the pain in the world anymore.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I admire you SO SO SO freaking much my friend. You are an amazing woman and mother <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristine,

    I am so sorry for the loss of Cora, but I am so proud and admiring of you for educating and helping people the way you are. I can't imagine how you feel, but I know that how your daughter was taken from you, so soon and without warning, is a parent's worst fear. If people think it's annoying for you to try to prevent others from going through what you and your family are going through, then there is something seriously wrong with them. What you are doing is a beautiful, strong, courageous thing that has already had an enormous impact on the world. Thank you.

    Aleigh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...